December 2011 Archives
A FRAUDULENT email (see below) is being sent to credit union members who have MasterCard credit cards. It asks you to follow a link, and to provide information about your account. If you receive one, please do not respond.
How to tell a legitimate request from a fraudulent one from CUETS, our card provider:
- CUETS will always address you by name;
- CUETS does not need to ask you your card number - they issued the card, they have your number;
- CUETS would use the card number format (**** **** **** 1234), showing the last 4 numbers of your card, not the format used in the email below.
The email may look like the one below:
Dear CUETS MasterCard customer,
As a result of an asset purchase by TD Bank Group which is now complete,
CUETS Financial-a division of MBNA Canada Bank and the issuer of your
credit union MasterCard credit card-is now a division of The
Please take a moment and update your account information for your credit
union MasterCard credit card (531*************) issued by CUETS
Financial to prevent data loss and errors within our systems by the
upcoming data center change.
You can access your account information form here:
Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help
protect you and your account.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
For the most part, it is business as usual and you will not notice any
change to your credit card account. You will still see your credit
union's name on your MasterCard credit card statement and you can
continue to manage your credit card account just as you do today.
Kind Regards, CUETS Financial
CREDIT UNION ELECTRONIC TRANSACTION SERVICES INC.
Phishing is the term used to describe a type of fraud via email. Characteristics may include:
- email looks legitimate, but has spelling or grammatical errors
- email contains a link that will take you to a website that will collect personal and/or card information for thieves to use.
- email, or linked web page, will threaten dire consequences if you do not respond quickly (e.g. your account will be locked or closed)